2013 short story competition

by Dorry Lawlor-Hudson
9th February 2013

Can a story which has already been shared on here be submitted into the 2013 short story competition?

The reason I ask is because in the rules of the competition, rule 16 states that the winning entry will be published on www.writersandartists.co.uk.

Does this mean that any work already shared here is going to be a 'no no' for entry into the competition?

Replies

Thank you both, I will maybe check with Admin although I am hoping Jonathon is right :-)

Profile picture for user dlawlorh_22997
Dorry
Lawlor-Hudson
270 points
Practical publishing
Short stories
Autobiography, Biography and Memoir
Crime, Mystery, Thriller
Romance
Dorry Lawlor-Hudson
10/02/2013

I've heard Jennifer's comment elsewhere.

It's from the latin to 'make public', and by definition 'member-only' sites ain't so.

Obviously there's a difference if you post it on your own, publicly-visible, site or blog. But a number of peer-review site posted novels have been published by the Big 6 (or is it 5 now?), and since publishers usually want 'first rights' I really can't see an issue.

Profile picture for user oldchesn_4270
Jonathan
Hopkins
6735 points
Practical publishing
Fiction
Historical
Adventure
The writing process
The publishing process
Self-Publishing
Jonathan Hopkins
10/02/2013

I'd check with the Admin.

Rule 3 says it must be an original unpublished work. In other competitions I have entered sharing or publishing a story online or on your own website constitutes as "published" and renders a work ineligible.

So worth checking with the WAYB Admin for clarification.

In any case, good luck!

Profile picture for user pppnl@yahoo.com
Jennifer
Harvey
330 points
Developing your craft
Film, Music, Theatre, TV and Radio
Fiction
Autobiography, Biography and Memoir
Business, Management and Education
Jennifer Harvey
10/02/2013