office 365 renewals

by Paul Garside
8th January 2016

Hello all and a happy new year.

I have just had a renewal notice for my pc office. It also warned that if I didn't renew I could have problems using the installed software. I had no idea I had to renew every year my office software. Just wondered if there is any other software as good as word, that I can buy outright? any ideas?

Regards Paul

Replies

I didn't know that Office was a subscription set up now. I still use an old version, my laptop and pc being 5 years old. It seems that a lot of commercial software is subscription now, and even video games, like the new playstation. It may be a way of making more money, or to stop pirate copies.

Profile picture for user bubthomp_35062
Barbara
Thompson
745 points
Developing your craft
Short stories
Fiction
Crime, Mystery, Thriller
Adventure
Middle Grade (Children's)
Picture Books (Children's)
Comic
Media and Journalism
Business, Management and Education
Speculative Fiction
Historical
Autobiography, Biography and Memoir
Barbara Thompson
13/01/2016

Thanks to all for your replies. It's good to know there's alternatives. I was hoping to find an answer that said "Ah you just need to contact this site and buy outright" but I can now see that aint the case. Thanks again I will take a look at the options mentioned.

Jonathan, I know it's an awful feeling when things come out of the blue especially when you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. I had a similar experience in May 2015. we had just bought our daughter a car to learn in I took it to church Sunday morning dropped off friends after, then had to brake hard for a taxi (I know I should be grateful that taxi drivers allow us to use their roads!!!) who drove from a side st, I managed to avoid him but the chap behind seemed to want to get to know me better, to the tune of writing it off. so I empathise.

Regards to all, as ever Paul

Profile picture for user paul_garside
Paul
Garside
330 points
Ready to publish
Fiction
Comic
Crime, Mystery, Thriller
Gothic and Horror
Middle Grade (Children's)
Picture Books (Children's)
Adventure
Speculative Fiction
Poetry
Short stories
Writing dialogue
Editing
Literary agents
Proof reading
Cover design
Publicity and Marketing
Preparing Your Portfolio
Identifying Your Audience
Literary
Synopsis
Voice
Paul Garside
10/01/2016

Hi Paul,

I got fed up being at ransom from Microsoft. I don't mind paying when I'm using a good product. But newer versions are seldom available for older hardware, while older versions are incompatible with recent hardware.

I switched from Microsoft to OpenOffice.org, and now to LibreOffice. (legal stuff)

True, buttons have a different name and position, but the same can be said between several versions of word or powerpoint.

Furthermore, you have identical versions for Windows, Apple's iOS and other machines like BSD or Linux. Build-in PDF generator and more important: it is free of charge. Ever.

Worthwhile trying.

Profile picture for user hwit@a-d_42563
Hans
Witvliet
330 points
Developing your craft
Fiction
Crime, Mystery, Thriller
Adventure
Media and Journalism
Business, Management and Education
Speculative Fiction